How to make custard from scratch Recipe
Ready to eat: 10 min
Nia Bennett | Oct, 13 2018
Everytime I eat custard, I think of my mum. I have the fondest memories of my mother whipping up homemade egg custard to make me feel better. Whenever I’ve been stressed especially during my mock exams, my mom would quickly make her magic custard recipe, pour it over some fresh fruits and give it to me as a treat to help me relax. So this has become an ingrained habit and of course I absolutely love custard so I don't need a lot of persuasion to make it or eat it.
This home made custard recipe is very easy. My personal tip to making an excellent custard is attention and patience. Follow these steps and I promise, your egg custard will turn out just as excellent as mine.
- 500ml milk
- 50g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tsp cornflour
Prep: 5 min > Cook: 5 min > Ready to eat: 10 min
- Heat the milk, add sugar, a vanilla pod or essence and let it boil.
- In a separate bowl add egg yolks whisk it then add cornflour and make a smooth paste.
- Pour a little bit of the warm milk from the saucepan into the egg mixture and stir well till it is nice and smooth.
- Turn your hob on and keep it on the low setting, now pour the egg mixture into the saucepan with warmed milk and keep stirring it till the mixture starts getting thick and turn off the flame.
- Strain the mixture back into a clean saucepan and your custard is ready to be served.