Chicken Katsu with Sushi Burger Recipe
Ready to eat: 35 min
Nia Bennett | Jun, 6 2019
Who says you need bread for burgers. This insanely delicious sushi bun burger topped with flavourful curry sauce with crispy katsu burger is something worth trying. In this recipe, I tried, but if you prefer adding flavours, you can add some stock to add more taste to your sushi rice, but this is entirely optional.
I prefer the wholesome taste of sushi rice with the aromatic curry sauce and crispy chicken. This recipe is a great dinner idea, instead of rice and chicken, this is a great twist to your traditional katsu rice without losing any traditional Japanese flavours.
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 4 cups water for cooking rice
- 500g chicken breast (for frying the chicken)
- 3 eggs (for frying the chicken)
- 1 cup plain fry, salt and pepper to season (for cooking the chicken)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs (for frying the chicken)
- Oil for frying
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (katsu sauce)
- 4 cloves of chopped garlic (katsu sauce)
- 2 medium sized chopped onions (katsu sauce)
- 2 chopped carrots (katsu sauce)
- 1.5 to 2 mild Japanese curry powder (katsu sauce)
- 1 cup chicken stock (katsu sauce)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (katsu sauce)
- 1 tsp Japanese light soy sauce (katsu sauce)
Prep: 10 min > Cook: 25 min > Ready to eat: 35 min
- Start by cooking the sushi rice, to do this rinse the rice in cold water at least 7-8 times till it runs clear, add it to a saucepan and cook using 3 cups of water. Allow the water to boil and then reduce the flame and let it cook for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes turn off the fire, leave the lid on top and allow the rice to cool.
- Once the rice is cold, form patties and allow this to chill in the fridge for an hour.
- To make the katsu curry, add oil to a saucepan add garlic, chopped onion and sauté for two minutes, now throw in the carrots and sweat slowly for ten minutes with the lid on, giving the odd stir, until softened and starting to caramelise.
- Then add bay leaves, mild Japanese curry powder, brown sugar and the all-purpose flour. Slowly pour in the stock until combined. Make sure you do this gradually to avoid getting lumps. Let this cook on a low flame for ten minutes. To this add light soy sauce and flavour with salt. Once cool you can either put the sauce in a blender or use a filter to get a delicate silky sauce.
- Then pane the chicken and for this start by flattening the chicken breast, so it cooks evenly on both sides (watch the video to do this properly).
- Add flour to a bowl and season it with salt and pepper and then coat the chicken in the flour, then dip into the egg and finally into the panko breadcrumbs and fry the chicken on both sides till it’s thoroughly cooked.
- Now in a separate pan, add oil and form the sushi rice into a patty and cook till crispy. Lay this on a plate and add a layer of curry sauce, chicken slices and place the second sushi patty and enjoy.